On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 15 Jan 2013, at 00:38, meekerdb wrote:
>
>  On 1/14/2013 10:20 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
> Lobbying should be forbidden.
>

> But it's just another name for "petitioning your government".  Lobbyists
> provide a lot research and expertise to the legislative process,
>

> Biased by personal interests.

Exactly. And let's not be naive here, the "research" is just to make the
decision look good in the public's eye. What really makes lobbying work is
money. Lobbyists pays for politicians careers.

> so I don't think it is workable to just forbid them.
>

> I did not say it was easy. Note that in Europa lobbying is more or less
> forbidden, but by lack of bipartition, we have often coalition which
> succeed in defending some special interest too.
>
> We have to think to prevent democracy being swallowed by corporatism. When
> Romney said that "corporations" are people, I get the chilling ...

Another (counter-intuitive) measure against lobbyists and special interests
groups would be aggressive deregulation of everything. People who want to
fight corporatism with state regulation are trying to extinguish a fire
with gasoline. Regulation is what they thrive on. Regulation always end up
granting the powerful groups all the liberties they want and restricting
the individual liberties even further.

Let supermarkets sell rotten meat. Soon businesses will appear to tell you
which meat is ok to eat - because the demand will be there. There
certifiers would have an incentive to tell you the truth, because that's
how they'd make money. The government rarely has an incentive to tell us
the truth.