On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:38 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 1/14/2013 10:20 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
> Lobbying should be forbidden.
>

> But it's just another name for "petitioning your government".  Lobbyists
> provide a lot research and expertise to the legislative process, so I don't
> think it is workable to just forbid them.
>
> Brent

About a year ago or two, a German comic asked the ministerial president of
Bavaria, whether he didn't feel depressed about setting up a political
career with visions of betterment etc. to then have to listen to the daily
lectures of lobbyists advising him to bail out this or that systemically
relevant bank, to avoid financial apocalypse and essentially have a gun
pointed at his head. "Doesn't this state of affairs depress you?" the TV
fool asks the king...

"Yes." conservative Horst Seehofer answered with a nod.

"And how do you deal or live with that then?" the comic.

"Well, I'm open to all forms of therapy. Especially if I don't have to pay;
like here with you, in which case I guess, the treatment reflects the
investment." Politician

"Well, I fear then that this particular treatment case is hopeless... you
know not you personally, of course... but the large financial state of
affairs, I mean... you read through all this financial crisis stuff and
you'll always find some professor who confirms a prejudice you already have
and others that don't. So how do you decide whom to believe about what?"

"No, that's perhaps fair I think. Those that are voted into office to make
decisions do not decide. People who are not voted decide." Seehofer
responds.

"What do you want me to say now? Bummer... C'mon man, you're not just
decoration on the wall!" the comic throws back.

"Ah, of course I run with what I think is best", which was followed by a
vague apologetic statement in favor of voter democracy.

Lobbying transparency at the least. I am opening my own lobby group:
advocates of the right to decide stupid things, without harming others. We
still need a name and members. We have one right now.

Legitimate groups with legitimate concerns should be allowed a voice, like
here:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/01/white-house-death-star/

If people can rally around such a cause, I don't know anymore if this is
good or bad, lol.