On 1/30/2013 2:15 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Wednesday, January 30, 2013 1:44:45 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote:

    On 1/30/2013 12:41 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

    On Wednesday, January 30, 2013 11:09:49 AM UTC-5, rclough wrote:

        What is the least powerful means of controlling gun violence ?
        By legal means, as if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will
        have guns.

     Just like if you outlaw biological weapons, then only outlaws
    will have biological weapons. That's pretty much the idea of
    making things illegal.

        What is the most powerful means ?
        By restablishing moral values in our homes, in our schools
        and in the media.

    Moral values cannot be re-established by decree, only imitated
    voluntarily by example.

        Morals flow from the individual mind. The collective has no
    morals.

Agreed, but I would add that the although the collective has no morals itself, it is only through social interaction which morals are meaningfully defined. Without a social context, morals are only solipsistic oscillations of temperament.

    I agree, thus solipsism must be attenuated.

Craig

--
Onward!

Stephen