On 1/31/2013 12:53 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:05:00 AM UTC-5, rclough wrote:

    Hi Stephen P. King
    IMHO morals imply that you have somebody looking over your shoulder.
    So they are collective.

Interesting. In a sense I agree, but I also agree with Stephen that morals flow from the individual mind. The morals of the collective are internalized by the individual, but it is up to them, to some degree (depending on the context) whether they choose to champion or reject any particular moral impulse or 'ought'. You might, for instance, be born into a family with parents who are traditional in some ways, eccentric in others, with one radical sibling and one more conservative sibling...maybe you were in a progressive program within a restrictive school, within a suburban culture, within a progressive state... etc. As you navigate through it, your morality is shaped by your experiences, and those of your family and friends. In my case, the only person looking over my shoulder is me - morality is what is demanded of me by the absence of anyone looking over my shoulder.

Craig
Hear Hear!

The environment that molds one individual cannot be assumed to be identical to the environment that molds another. Beware of assumptions of uniformity and homogeneity... Sometimes Nature is not as symmetric as we would like...

--
Onward!

Stephen