I'm getting a bit jack of this term "metadiscussion" becuse it only ever gets
applied to what other people are choosing to discuss. People talk about what
people want to talk about. It's about taste, perception, preference and
prejudice. Even WITH rigidly adhered-to rules and conventions, this still
applies. The challenge is to take WHATEVER is spoken about and MAKE that
relevant somehow (to whatever you want to make it relevant to). That's harder,
more interesting and dare I say it - more relevant a process than simply
corralling all thinking under one topic or heading. As soon as you start to set
up rules, conventions and expectations the population divides into those who
feel that it is to their advantage to play by the "rules" and those who believe
that this is a constraint. This list is remarkably troll-free. For that very
reason I see no need to restrict what is spoken of. The ensemble theories of
everything probably won't come from the brains of those who are exclusively
obsessed by these things anyway since by now their perception is circular and
their belief supports their belief. You need random thinkers, people who will
break the local equilibrium and who will introduce the creative concept of
"idea movement" from time to time.