Hi PGC,

I have never suggested moderation of the list. It has been tried
before (not by me), and it doesn't work. Also, if you are aware of the
events on the FOR list leading up the the establishment of FOAR,
(http://www.hpcoders.com.au/blog/?p=5) you would realise that I'm in
perfect agreement with you about not moderating the list, and the most
effective treatment for trolls is to ignore them. Indeed, I am
currently deleting about 80% of the everything-list posts without
reading them, but it does require remembering what each thread is
about before pressing ^D.

I also have been careful not to single anybody out for blame. In fact
I think we're all guilty, to a greater or lesser extent. For example,
I have occasionally pipped in on off-topic threads when I should
better have just ignored them.

What I wanted to remind people of was the purpose of the list, and a
request that we get back to discussing that, rather than things
belonging in different fora.