On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Quentin Anciaux <allco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/2/19 Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com>
>

>> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 3:39 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>>  On 2/18/2013 10:49 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>>>
>>> 6. Swapping places with someone: In 5 seconds, your mind and
>>> consciousness will swap with that of some rich and famous person.  Let's
>>> say Bill Gates.  I hope you are ready.  5. 4. 3. 2. 1.  The swap is
>>> complete.  Bill Gates is now in your body, with access to your memories and
>>> living as you were just before you got to reading this sentence, while you
>>> are living as a billionaire and enjoying Bills bank account.   Of course,
>>> while you are in his body you only have access to his memories.  Not only
>>> does his wife not notice the switch, but you don't even notice it.  You
>>> only have access to Bill's memories now so you do not realize anything is
>>> awry.  Don't worry, everything will be set back how it was, in 3. 2. 1.
>>> Welcome back. How was it? Of course, you don't remember. Fortunately, Bill
>>> was nice enough to read the last few sentences for you and now they have
>>> been placed into your memory.  This shows it is meaningless to say "I wish
>>> I could live as X", or "experience a day in Y's shoes".  For all you know,
>>> you already are, have, and will.
>>>

>>> This, if true, only shows that "you" and "Bill Gates" don't exist apart
>>> from your bodies and memories, so that it is nonsense to talk of exchanging
>>> bodies and memories.
>>>

>> We agree it is nonsense.
>>

>>>    For it to make sense there would have to be a "you" soul and a "Bill
>>> Gates" soul that switched.
>>>

>> Okay, if no soul involved, then by what means can we talk of you at T1
>> and you at T2, when the two are different in terms of memories and material?
>>

> Causality ? The you at T1 and the you at T2 are causally linked.

Causality links many things to you, and you to many things, which you
wouldn't normally associate with yourself.  I don't think causality alone
can serve as a theory of personal identity.  A theory of personal identity
needs to define the boundaries of a person, and answer questions such as
which experiences can be ascribed to a given person.  You could trace
causality backwards and find that the big bang caused you, but that doesn't
mean you are the big bang.  Likewise, you could make a fancy dinner (which
you caused) but the fancy dinner is not you.  I think causally linked might
be a requirement but by itself it is too general to delineate an individual.

Jason