On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 3:33 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On 2/18/2013 10:49 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>

>> 3. We need not our memories to be ourselves.  Imagine concentrating
>> heavily on some task, such as taking an exam, or driving in perilous
>> conditions.  You become so focused on your task that you use almost none of
>> your personal long term memories.  In principal, large portions of your
>> brain could be disconnected without impacting your performance or
>> experience.
>>

> I think that is very doubtful.  You seem to equate memory entirely with
> conscious narrative memory, but what we think consciously is only a small
> part of our thinking.  In fact it might be a quite small part that could be
> disconnected.  When I think of the solution to a problem it often just
> 'pops into my head'.  It obviously depended on my memory, because, for
> example, I didn't just unconsciously invent calculus to solve it.

Think of how many neurons are dedicated to other things completely
unrelated to taking the test: appreciating music, catching a baseball,
tasting food, swimming, and so on.  Certianly, our experiences shape us in
ways we aren't always aware, and unconscious thought plays a big part of
solutions we come up with, but when you are for instance, meditating and
thinking of almost nothing, but how much of what you consider uniquely
defines you as an individual, really goes into that experience? (of
meditating, concentrating on an SAT question)?

Jason