On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:28:03 PM UTC-5, JohnM wrote:

> Craig, it seems we engaged in a fruitful discussion- thank you.

> I want to reflect to *a few* concepts only from it to clarify MY stance.
> First my use of *a 'model'.* There are different models, from the sexy
> young females over the math-etc. descriptions of theoretical concepts (some
> not so sexy). - What I (after Robert Rosen?) use by this word is an extract
> of something, we may not know in toto. Close to an 'Occamized' version, but
> "cut" mostly by ignorance of the 'rest of it', not for added clarity.
> Applied to whatever we know TODAY about the world. Or: we THINK WE KNOW.
> *
> You mention 'statistical' in connection with adaptation. I deny the
> validity of statistics (and so: of probability) because it depends on the
> borderlines to observe in "counting" the items. 1000 years ago (or maybe
> yesterday) such boderlines were different, consequently different
> statistics came up with different chances of occurrence in them (not even
> mentioning the indifference of WHEN all those chances may materialize).
> *
> *"...within a looped continuum of perceived causality..."  *
> Perceived causality is restricted to the 'model' content, while it may be
> open to be entailed by instigators beyond our present knowledge.
> Furthermore (in the flimsy concept we have about 'time' I cannot see a
> 'loop' - only a propagating curve as everything changes by the time we
> think to 'close' the loop (like the path of a planet as the Sun moves).
> *
> *"...I couldn't agree with you more. That's a big part of what my TOE is
> all about  http://multisenserealism.com/8-matter-energy/..."*
> Your TOE? - MY FOOT. - Agnostically we are so far from even speaking about
> * 'everything'* that the consecutively observable levels of gathering
> some knowledge (adjusted to our ever evolving mental capabilities into some
> personal 'mini-solipsism' - different always for everyone) is a great
> pretension of the human conventional sciences.
> (Don't take it personally, please). We LIVE and THINK within (my) model.
> Whatever is beyond is unknowable. But it affects the model content.
> The URL was an enjoyable reading - with Stephen's addition to it.

Thanks John,

I agree, my TOE pretensions are more tongue in cheek than literal. What I'm
claiming is that I think I have a plausible (the only plausible, IMO)
concept of how mind and body (and by extension physics and experience)
relate. The rest is extrapolated from that and I think suggests that it can
work and opens up some new possibilities for understanding time and
significance, qualia, etc.

Thanks,
Craig