On Monday, January 28, 2013 4:10:48 PM UTC-5, JohnM wrote:

> Craig:
> beautiful series. Mostly agreeable terms.
> I used some of it in a slightly different sense, but not oppositional;

Thanks John,

I like your comments a lot as well and I think they add to the discussion...

> *Organisms do not adapt. *We have to realize the diversity of ALL
> existence and "similarly looking" groups show differences, observed. or
> beyond our capability of detection. Those with closer details to fit into
> the existing (also unlimited?) variety of nature will survive, giving to
> the scientist the view of 'adaptation.
> A good example is the activity of antibiotics: no microbe will adapt (or
> decide a change in offspring development!) upon REALIZING the danger of an
> antibiotic, so whichever kinds are receptive, will die. The different
> variations (undetected by our ongoing measuring capabilities) will survive
> and 'fill up' the empty niche fast, giving the impression upon the
> identically identified (but different) species to have become immune.
> Indeed it is a 'natural selection' (see below).

A great point. The term adaptation is:

1. Literal only when it is applied to the (figurative) statistical 'trends'
of the (figurative) 'body' of the species.
2. Figurative when applied to all other literal, ('public physics') bodies
of individual organisms.

Adaptation makes a leap of inference which can be misleading, as you say,
and I like your example, that it isn't even that a whole aggregate group of
bacteria or their offspring's offspring has 'adapted' to anything, they
have simply not died in the face of some local condition. Likewise the
non-resistant bacteria did not (literally) 'fail to survive', as there was
nothing to fail at, since survival is the default mode of any organism. You
could say that it failed figuratively, since the end result is that some
survive and some did not, but it is dangerous to literalize that into a
Social Darwinist assumption that survival is a game in which you can win if
you better learn the rules.

With a human being, it is possible that we could improve our chances
technologically if we better learn the rules, but the rules could also
change, or our technology could have unforeseen consequences which nullify
their benefit at some point anyhow. Overpopulation presents a scary
proposition in that we are in the unique position of having our own
biological purpose possibly be the greatest obstacle to fulfilling our
human desires for high quality of life. What does an organism do if it can
reproduce so much that it makes itself into a pestilence for itself?

> *Natural selection *(see above) comes back to diversity.
>
> *The Fittest and their survival *refers to the circumstances and their
> change: Dinosaurs were the 'fittest' when they got extinct, because of 2ary
> changes in the environment. John is right to eliminate the superlative. Fit
> fir survival is sufficient.

I didn't see where John eliminated the superlative, but I agree that it
should be.

> *Adaptation *would imply evaluation of what's wrong and how's it better
> and THEN direct changes in achieving such. A social group MAY do that (not
> many to be found) but 'species'? especially ONE member in its lifetime? not
> likely.

I didn't read this one until after I did my long comment above, but yes, I
agree. You said it a lot more concisely than I did.

> *Random? * I deny the term since it's application would negate the
> possibility of prediction of 'the next step" in natural sciences. There may
> be applicable circumstances among which we don't know how to select the
> most likely one, as I recall Russell's "relatively random" case, but once
> we can 'generate' randomity, it is not "random".

I am increasingly suspicious of 'random' myself. What if there is no
'random'? Yes, I like "relatively" or "practically random" better.

> * Chance? * coinciding with more than we know of at present.

Sure, yes, my view is that chance and choice are like two adjacent regions
within a looped continuum of perceived causality. The difference has to do
with the scope of the view that we can have of the context from our limited
and highly idiosyncratic human perceptual capacities (even with their
instrumental extension).

> *Evolution *IMO and in the sense of Craig's word of misconception hides
> some teleological content. If the 'end' (goal?) is fixed, Why EVOLUTION?
> why did the Creator(???) make it perfect to begin with?
> In my (agnostic) view there is an infinite complexity "out there" of which
> only some proportion infiltrates our knowable world in a steadily enriching
> fashion - adjusted to the mental capabilities we carry. This is our "MODEL"
> of the world.

Here's where I think what I was saying earlier about Literal and Figurative
applies to MODEL:

We can be said to have a 'MODEL':

1. Only figuratively, when applied to our concretely real sensory-motor
interactions ('private physics').
2. Only literally when when applied to the (figurative) aggregate of
logical functions which can be identified publicly.

Our experience is the real thing, the model is a convenient turn of phrase
to help us work with what I suggest is an as-yet-unexamined-by-science
reality of private physics (I propose this reality can be better modeled
with concepts like perceptual inertial frames, significance, and
solitropy.). Private physics does indeed model public physics, and it
models itself, and it models its own modeling of itself (ad infinitum), but
I argue with confidence that *the capacity to model is not a logical model
itself*, and it is not the mechanisms of public physics. Rather, I suspect
that the capacity to model is a root primitive - *the* root primitive of
all physics, a sensory-motor participation within a more limited subset of
sensory-motor participation.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9y9by2XXw1qe3q3v.jpg
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9y9boN5rP1qe3q3v.jpg
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9vtbj9N0m1qe3q3v.jpg

> There are relations we may (not?) know about and effects unknown upon
> cases we think we (may) know about. I like the Flat Earth as an example,
> Brent wrote the other day an appreciable list of such. I would add the case
> of 'electricity' observed in certain fashion, described and calculated
> (used?) as we presently understand it. It may be more, different from what
> we think today. Volta and Faraday captured one aspect only. And we feel
> SOOO smart!

I couldn't agree with you more. That's a big part of what my TOE is all
about  http://multisenserealism.com/8-matter-energy/

Not just electricity, but all forms of 'energy' are actually the
sensory-motor interactions of some set of time-narrative experiences on
some scale. Space is a thin cross-section that cuts the universe into a
meaningless flat topology. It is only through time, which 'begins' with
perpetually expanding 'now', and (my conjecture obviously) subdivides into
countless nested 'nows' within. It works in the exact opposite way that
space works, where objects are nested literally inside of each other by
position. *With time, subjects are nested figuratively inside of themselves
by disposition*.

Thanks,
Craig