On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:

> > TED recently censured two talks by Rupert Sheldrake and Graham Hancock.
> Did did it one the grounds of
> classifying their claims as pseudo-science.

My respect for TED just went up several notches.

> > I find this disturbing

Ted has a good reputation. They want to keep it.

> they are just proposing hypothesis based on experience.

They are proposing a hypothesis to explain a phenomenon that, despite the
best efforts of many for well over a century, nobody can show exists. I
will make a bet with you or with anyone else on this list that if either of
the 2 most respected  science journals on planet earth, Science and Nature,
publish a pro parapsychology article before March 22 2014 I will give you
$100, if they don't you only have to pay me $10. Do we have a bet?

And speaking of Science magazine, if you like wild and wacky stuff, and who
doesn't, you don't need to read supermarket tabloids and listen to junk
science by Rupert Sheldrake, Science Magazine has plenty of weird wonderful
stuff, and what's more this is stuff that could change  our world beyond
all recognition; Rupert Sheldrake never will.

For example, almost all of the March 8 2013 issue of Science Magazine is
devoted to articles about Quantum Computers, and a working Quantum Computer
would stand the world on its head like nothing seen before. Here are what
world class physicists have to report on the latest developments:

"The concept of solving problems with the use of quantum algorithms,
introduced in the early 1990s was welcomed as a revolutionary change in the
theory of computational complexity, but the feat of actually building a
quantum computer was then thought to be impossible. The invention of
quantum error correction introduced hope that a quantum computer might one
day be built, most likely by future generations of physicists and
engineers. However, less than 20 years later, we have witnessed so many
advances that successful quantum computations, and other applications of
quantum information processing such as quantum simulation and long distance
quantum communication appear reachable within our lifetime"

"A final measurement of the system can then yield information pertaining to
all 2^N states. For merely N= 400 qubits, we find that the encoded
information of 2^ 400 = 10^120 values is more than the number of
fundamental particles in the universe; such a computation could never be
performed without the parallel processing enabled by quantum mechanics. In
a sense, entanglement between qubits acts as an invisible wiring that can
potentially be exploited to solve certain problems that are intractable
otherwise. [...] Remarkably, we have not yet encountered any fundamental
physical principles that would prohibit the building of quite large quantum
processors."

"The past decade has seen remarkable progress in isolating and controlling
quantum coherence using charges and spins in semiconductors. Quantum
control has been established at room temperature, and electron spin
coherence times now exceed several seconds, a nine order-of-magnitude
increase in coherence compared with the first semiconductor qubits."

"Although many challenges remain on the road to constructing a useful
quantum computer, the pace of discovery seems to be accelerating, and spins
in semiconductors are poised to play a major role."

There was even a article on the most radical sort of Quantum computer, a
Topological Quantum Computer using non-Abelian pseudo-particles, and even
here they report "substantial progress in this field".

  John K Clark