On Monday, March 25, 2013 8:44:24 PM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 5:55 AM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>>
> wrote:
> >> "CJ Can you tell me of a case of "greedy reductionism" that's angered
> you?
> >

> >> DD I haven't been angered but I have been frustrated by some
> >> neuroscientists who say we do not have free will and in some cases this
> >> position has implications in law and morality. They argue your mind is
> your
> >> brain, the brain is programmed, so there's no free will. I think
> science
> >> needs to be more circumspect and more creative. An economist might say,
> >> dollars don't exist, it's just a collective illusion, I think this is
> very
> >> bad advice and I also think it is bad, greedy reductionist advice to
> say
> >> free will is an illusion.
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> CJ Well, for example, [Burrhus Frederic] Skinner said beliefs and
> desires
> >> were "mythical".
> >>
> >> DD Skinner was a greedy reductionist, but there are thousands of people
> >> doing science and they are not all men or all reductionists."
> >

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/2013/mar/22/daniel-dennett-theory-of-mind-interview?CMP=twt_gu#.UVBWrVzI0r4.facebook
>

> DanieL Dennett believes that free will is compatible with determinism.
> He doesn't like it when people define free will in such a way as to
> make it impossible.

Well, I didn't say he was perfect, but at least he doesn't claim that free
will is an outright illusion or epiphenomenon. The notion that science
needs to be more 'creative' would be tough to pull off if you insist on the
Laws of Physics deny the possibility of free will by definition point of
view.

Craig