2013/3/29 John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 1:55 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > I exercise my free will when I make a choice without being coerced.

>> has the wall coerced you to do so, or more precisely have the photons that
>> entered your eye indicating the presents of the wall caused you to do so?
>> If you wish to jump over a mountain has gravity coerced you to stay where
>> you are?
>>
>>  > No, I think coercion is influence by another's will
>>

> So if somebody else prevents me from doing what I want then I lack free
> will,

No, you just lack the ability to exercise it.

> but if anything else prevents me I still have it;

Same thing, except that even if you would decide freely to pass through a
mountain like it was water you wouldn't be able to, on the contrary if you
wanted freely to do something but someone coerced you not to, the only
thing preventing you from doing it is the other person, not a physicial
impossibility. You can't freely decide that a square is a circle.

> thus we are entirely dependent not on ourselves but on other people for
> free will

I know you like showing how smart you are, but reading that just make you
look dumb.

Quentin