On 31 Mar 2013, at 16:16, John Clark wrote:

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013  Joseph Knight <joseph.9...@gmail.com> wrote:

> True or False: COMP implies that any fundamental physical constant is non computable?

I still don't know exactly what "COMP" means

It is the hypothesis that there is a level of description of your brain such that your consciousness (or first person experience) would remain unchanged in case your brain, or body, is replaced by a computer emulating it at that level, or below.

It is the idea that your brain is a machine, even if natural and physical.

but about 1860 Maxwell computed the speed of light and that is certainly a fundamental constant, not only that but his mathematics said that computed speed of light would always be the same regardless of the speed of the observer or of the source of the light. But of course Maxwell didn't start from zero, he had to know what the values of the magnetic constant and the electric constant are, and as far as we know those numbers can only be obtained from experiment. At the time electricity and magnetism didn't seem to have anything to do with light but Maxwell showed that they did.

Getting number by experiment does not provide information on the computability issue of some possible constant occurring in physics.

Most mathematical constants are computable or reductible to computable functions on the non negative integers, and individual non computable object occur mainly in mathematical logic and theoretical computer science.

Bruno

  John K Clark