On 31 Mar 2013, at 18:03, meekerdb wrote:

On 3/31/2013 7:16 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Sat, Mar 30, 2013  Joseph Knight <joseph.9...@gmail.com> wrote:

> True or False: COMP implies that any fundamental physical constant is non computable?

I still don't know exactly what "COMP" means but about 1860 Maxwell computed the speed of light and that is certainly a fundamental constant, not only that but his mathematics said that computed speed of light would always be the same regardless of the speed of the observer or of the source of the light. But of course Maxwell didn't start from zero, he had to know what the values of the magnetic constant and the electric constant are, and as far as we know those numbers can only be obtained from experiment. At the time electricity and magnetism didn't seem to have anything to do with light but Maxwell showed that they did.

I thought the speed of light was 1.

Lol.

But even with the unities making the speed of light equal to 1, we cannot be sure that in the next theory, to accommodate some unexpected particles, we might need to accept that the speed of light is the constant 0.9999999999999999999999996779435210033012878856... as measured by some technology. And the question remains, is that computable (algorithmically generable)?

With comp we can expect bad news, like it will take 400,000 years for solving that problem, and showing that the speed of light is determined by some constants appearing in the distribution of the twin primes number, say. That would show that in some theory, the speed of light is computable. But in the year 898,675,908, that theory will be disproved, by measurement, making the question of the computability of the speed of light still unsolved.

We can hope for the simple, but we can expect surprises and complexities, and a growing ignorance awareness, proportional to a deepening in the fundamentals. I think.