On 4/4/2013 3:35 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 11:44 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
On 4/3/2013 2:44 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
You're making the same mistake as John Clark, confusing the physical
computer with the algorithm. Powerful computers don't help us if we don't
have the right algorithm. The central mystery of AI, in my opinion, is why
on earth haven't we found a general learning algorithm yet. Either it's too
complex for our monkey brains, or you're right that computation is not the
whole story. I believe in the former, but not I'm not sure, of course.
Notice that I'm talking about generic intelligence, not consciousness, which
I strongly believe to be two distinct phenomena.

Then do you think there could be philosophical zombies?
Yes.

Could it be that some humans are zombies, or do you assume that to be a zombie would mean being physically different from a human being?

How would you
operationally test a robot to see whether it was (a) intelligent
I don't see intelligence as a binary property, but relative to goals.
The classical answer for human-like intelligence is something like the
Turing test, but I don't like it. I don't think that a generic AI
should be measured by it's ability to fool us into making us think
it's human. Instead I'd have to ask you first what do you want the
robot for? Personally I would want robots to free Humanity from
unwanted labor. This is a high-level goal that requires what I
consider to be generic AI. Can it learn all sorts of tasks like
driving a car, working in a factory, following fuzzy requirements, etc

Yes, I agree with that. I'd say intelligence is being able to learn to be competent at many tasks, but there is no completely general intelligence. I think for social beings it includes being able to explain, to give reasons, which implies some empathy.

etc?

(b)
conscious?
I don't believe that such a test can exist. I don't even think we can
know if a glass of water is conscious.

Have you ever been unconscious?