On Friday, April 5, 2013 10:30:29 AM UTC-4, Jason wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 8:41 AM, Bruno Marchal <mar...@ulb.ac.be<javascript:>
> > wrote:
>

>> On 05 Apr 2013, at 00:07, Craig Weinberg wrote (to Jason)
>>
>>  There are algorithms for implementing anything that does not involve
>>> infinities.
>>>

>> Why do you think so? What algorithm implements purple or pain?
>>

>> What make you think that purple or pain don't involve infinities?
>>
>> (Also, many algorithm does involve infinities. Machines can provide name
>> for ordinals up to the Church-Kleene omega_1^CK ordinal, and they can
>> reason in ZF like any of us.
>> I don't see why computers cannot beat the humans in the naming of
>> infinities, even if that task can be considered as the least algorithmic
>> one ever conceived by humans).
>>

> I should clarify what I meant by infinities.  I meant there are algorithms
> that for computing anything that can be solved which does not require an
> infinite number of steps or infinite precision to do so.  So unless
> infinite precision or infinite steps are required to emulate brain
> behavior, a computer should be capable of expressing all outwardly visisble
> behaviors any human can.  (Craig has disputed this point before)

A mirror can express all outwardly visible behaviors of a human already.
Put a speaker at mouth level behind the mirror, a camera at eye level, a
microphone at ear level, and voila, you have a mirror zombie. The only
difference with an AI zombie is that the behaviors have been approximated
statistically from correlations of analyzed recordings so that the
mirroring is divided up into bits and controlled mathematically. Taking
this to the level of brain behavior only makes the bits much more numerous.

Craig