On Thursday, May 16, 2013 12:13:56 PM UTC-4, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

> 2013/5/16 Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
>
>> If the first three assumptions define consciousness as software, then why
>> would there be any 'extension' of the original program to the copy?
>>
>> Say I have a phone in L.A. with a GPS indicating the local weather. I
>> duplicate the entire phone, send it off to London in a package, which I
>> pick up on arrival. I turn on the phone, see the that the local weather is
>> now foggy rainy London weather. I look at the weather log and see that
>> previous weather was in sunny, smoggy L.A.
>>
>> So what?
>>
>> I can break the original phone or the copy phone and it won't affect the
>> other. There isn't even an original and a copy unless someone who is
>> thinking too much about it decides on that relation. It doesn't matter how
>> many phones or what you do with them,
>

> I've never encounter a conscious phone, so your argument is ... not an
> argument at all. Of course a phone is not a human, it is a straw man to
> compare the two and say afterward, see... a phone is not a human... well
> yes it's true.

If you are allowing that there is some difference-in-kind between software
and consciousness, then you are invalidating comp to begin with. The whole
premise of the three assumptions is to define the thought experiment as
taking place in a universe where brain function can only differ from the
function of any computer in degree rather than in kind.

>> none of them extend to each other at all. I think that any weirdness
>> comes from the original bad assumption that consciousness is on the one
>> hand certainly reproducible by emulating the physical brain,
>

> You did not explain why it is bad (you never did actually).

I think it's a bad assumption because:

*1. The Material Incompleteness problem*. We have not understood any reason
that the physical brain would produce consciousness. It is only our own
subjective experience that we think there is such a thing as personhood,
self, etc. It's like a chef who has never eaten trying to cook based on a
verbal description of food. Where there is a known vacuum of information
and understanding, we cannot scientifically expect the result we intend.

*2. The universal intuition of the Uncanny.* Thus far the devices we have
created not only do not follow the pattern of baby organisms, nor do they
follow a similar pattern, but they follow what can be understood to be the
opposite pattern in every way. Machines are not considered to be disgusting
or cute, not willful etc. They are specifically felt to be impersonal -
'cold', 'unfeeling'.  This is not proof of the emptiness of machines, but
it suggests that there may in fact be a valid basis for our intuitions and
we should not give the benefit of the doubt to the contrary position
without understanding more.

*3. The Presentation problem*: We use a video screen to convert digital
computation into optical presentations. If digital computation had any
aesthetic presence that would not be necessary. The existence of geometry,
even more than the hard problem of consciousness, makes comp a bad
assumption. There is simply no plausible use for an aesthetic presentation
of any kind for computation or arithmetic.

*4. The Emulation problem:* Having no understanding of the ultimate source
of consciousness, we cannot assume that any particular configuration of
brain function is identical to a particular person's experience. It may not
work that way. Identity may arise through time and dispersed by function
rather than being assembled by function into a single subjective time. In
my view, the cardinality of identity is inseparable from uniqueness itself,
and is therefore not  reproducible in any way, just as a moment in history
is not reproducible. Consciousness cannot be imitated.

*5. The Pathetic fallacy:* The tendency to over-signify inanimate objects
is well established. From stuffed animals to puppets to cartoons, we cannot
deny that the temptation for cognitive bias in this direction must be
examined very carefully.  We cannot assume that computer scientists are
somehow capable of superhuman impartiality toward their devices and
programs.

What are the counterfactuals? There is only one. Every mechanical system
that we have reverse engineered so far has made the same kind of sense, so
there is no reason to assume that the brain is any difference... except
that the brain is correlated with human consciousness and nothing else in
the universe is.

>> and at the same time entertaining the contrary bad assumption that once
>> emulated, data is literally independent of local physics.
>>

> No one said that.

Isn't that what all of this teleporting is about?

Craig