On 16 Jun 2013, at 09:17, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 8:29 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 15 Jun 2013, at 16:55, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

Why aren't we blinded by a myriad of thoughts ?

For the same reason computers can selectively access their memories,
run some algorithms and not others and so on. This is understood in
basic computer science by any of the many variations of conditional
execution (if/then expressions).

Olber's Paradox and the limited outreach of neurons

by Roger Clough

Adapting to Leibniz's philosophy of mind, each of the neurons in the
brain
is a monad

Neurons are cells. We know a lot about how cells work. We also know
that neurons communicate through neurotransmitters, that they have
activation thresholds and that they organize in super-complex networks and that they are building blocks with sufficient expressiveness to be
Turing complete. Your theory has to be able to account for all these
things we found out since Leibniz was around.

But here Roger Clough was perhaps intuiting something like the comp measure problem, where the white rabbits and the white noise seems to be what we
should experience a priori, by the FPI.

So I can *interpret* that Olber-Clough blindness phenomena as the white rabbit problem in comp, perhaps related to Russell's "Occam catastrophe".

Your answer ,Telmo, was on the 3p level, but the experience are 1p, and the
FPI makes harder to explain the apparent consistency and stability of
consciousness. Then the non triviality of computer science makes this
problem into a problem in computer science and thus a problem in arithmetic. It fits with the idea that a brain, or a universal machine filter more
consciousness than creating or producing it.

I'm ok with all this, and as I said before I'm not on the materialist
camp -- I don't believe in the neurological origin of consciousness,
for example.

My problem here is with the statement that neurons are monads in the
Leibnizian sense.

That does not make any sense, indeed.

It throws under the rug a lot of stuff we know about
neurons. I agree that my answer was on the 3p level, but the existence
of these 3p mechanisms has to be explained by a TOE, correct?

Correct, but with comp we are assuming some 3p level, like (sigma_1) arithmetic. And then we can explain that such tiny assumption is not derivable from any other theory (unless it is Turing equivalent).

It looks like magic, but the numbers explains why it is impossible to understand where the numbers comes from, they are truly mysterious, somehow.

Saying
that intelligence has nothing to do with computation (I know you don't
claim this, but Roger does) is a bit like saying that the earth is
only 6000 years old: one would have to believe in a very malicious god
that plants false evidence. Because the brain sure looks like a
computer...

I agree.

My defense of Roger was of the type "devil's advocate". Roger, like many, is just unaware that machines are more than we thought in the 19th century.

Bruno

Telmo.

Bruno

Telmo.

and all of tbhe monads in the universe are perceived
(Leibniz uses the word "reflected", since all of the monads reflect
the perceptions of all of the others through the Chief MONAD
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/leibniz-mind/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olbers%27_paradox

Olbers' paradox
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

"Olbers' paradox in action
In astrophysics and physical cosmology, Olbers' paradox, named after the German astronomer Heinrich Wilhelm Olbers (1758�1840) and also called the "dark night sky paradox", is the argument that the darkness of the
night
sky
conflicts with the assumption of an infinite and eternal static universe. The darkness of the night sky is one of the pieces of evidence for a
non-static
universe such as the Big Bang model. If the universe is static and
populated
by an infinite number of stars, any sight line from Earth must end at the
(very bright)
surface of a star, so the night sky should be completely bright. This
contradicts the observed
darkness of the night."