On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 5:16 PM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I think the fact that e^i*PI +1 = 0 surprises almost everyone when they
>> first hear of it.
>

> > This one is very interesting, but the fact that Pi was a poor choice for
> the constant makes the equation considerably more ugly than it should be.
>  There is a growing movement to usurp the number Pi with the much more
> important constant "2*Pi" (see: http://www.math.utah.edu/~palais/pi.html ).
>  If we call that new number tau (t).  Then Euler's identity becomes:
> e^(t * i) = 1

There is no disputing matters of taste but I think the original equation is
more beautiful because it shows a relationship between 5 of the most
important numbers in all of mathematics. Your new equation only has 4
important numbers, it doesn't include  zero, it has the multiplicative
identity but not the additive identity.

John K Clark