On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 2:09 AM, chris peck <chris_peck...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Roger
>
> hmmm. sort of. Lowering interest rates, creating cheap money, in part
> encouraged banks to lend to people they ordinarily would not have. This put
> more buyers on the market and that increase in demand led to a rise in house
> prices. Of course, when the interest rates went up, those loans became much
> more expensive and people found they couldn't afford the mortgages they had
> taken. People began to default, demand decreased and then so did the house
> prices.
>
> But, there was a whole lot more to it than that. Deregulation, (ie. free
> market sensibility),
> allowed banks to collect together and carve up loans
> into complex derivatives and sell them on as 'high quality' assets. In other
> words, free market sensibility led to a situation in which banks no longer
> bore responsibility for the loans they made.

We haven't had a free market in the western world for a long time now.

Banks loan money that, in turn, they borrowed from the fed (or the
ECB, or...). Central banks have the power to create money out of thin
air. They control the supply of money. This is not capitalism, it's
something else. Something insane.

Free markets assume rational agents performing symmetrical
transactions for their one self-interest. What we have in reality is a
centralised secret bureaucracy with unchecked economical and
regulatory powers.

In a real free market, I would be able to loan you money and act like
a bank myself. The big banks would have to make do with the money
reserves they had.

Telmo.