On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 1:45 AM, chris peck <chris_peck...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> @ Telmo
>

>> Free markets assume rational agents performing symmetrical
>> transactions for their one self-interest. What we have in reality is a
>> centralised secret bureaucracy with unchecked economical and
>> regulatory powers.

Hi Chris,

> The 70s through to the 00s was typified by the dismantling of Glass-Steagall
> such that financial markets were increasingly unregulated rather than
> regulated. Free rather than governed.

Yes, but at the same time the Fed controlled the supply of money. The
system is irrational at its core. Money stopped being equivalent to
resources a long time ago. Now it's just a political convention.

> The market in CDOs and Credit Default Swaps and all the other derivatives at
> the center of the GFC was not regulated. The Big Banks like Lehman Brothers
> and Bear Stearns leveraged themselves to the hilt ... unchecked.

The key word here is "leveraged". Ultimately, this level of leveraging
is only possible because the Fed can create money out of thin air. In
a rational resource based economy, this entire situation would not be
possible to begin with.

> The event that sent liquidity in the economy into cardiac arrest was the
> refusal of Hank Paulson to intervene in the failure of Lehman Bros. The
> refusal of government to interfere.
>
> What de-fribullated the economy? As bitter a pill as it must be for market
> fundamentalists to swallow recovery was instigated by bail outs and
> intervention.
>
> That's the irony isn't it? That faith in Adam Smith's invisible hand in fact
> nurtured the growth of financial institutions that became 'too big to fail'.
> It ended up cementing the requirement of government to intervene in finance.

If you begin with the dogma that government must control the money
supply, then sure. But it might be a bit early to claim that the
economy was saved. What I see is western governments accumulating
unprecedented levels of debt. China seems to be winning the game, but
then what?

Also, it's a funny moment in History to pretend that giving this much
power to governments does not have consequences. What if the economy
is saved but we end up living under a modern global Stasi? This
sounded like "conspiracy theory" stuff a few weeks ago, but what about
now?

My hope is that bitcoin or something like that will finally set us
free from the criminals that have been running the financial systems.
I still believe in technology more than I believe in politics. And
let's not kid ourselves, part of what's going on in the world right
now, financially and otherwise is a struggle between the world that
could be (enabled by the Internet) and the ruling elites.