On 19 Jul 2013, at 08:49, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 7:15 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
On 7/18/2013 2:27 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:

Also, it's a funny moment in History to pretend that giving this much
power to governments does not have consequences. What if the economy
is saved but we end up living under a modern global Stasi? This
sounded like "conspiracy theory" stuff a few weeks ago, but what about
now?

My hope is that bitcoin or something like that will finally set us
free from the criminals that have been running the financial systems.
I still believe in technology more than I believe in politics.

But it's technology that's enabling the global Stasi. If someone had to actually listen to your phonecalls and take notes our privacy would be
secure.

True :(

My reasoning is this: I believe that it is possible to create a
network that cannot be compromised, by a combination of strong
encryption, pear to pear topology and decentralised everything. This
things already exist. The reason they aren't popular is that they are
too inconvenient to use. The more intrusive governments become, the
higher the incentive to both improve these technologies and put up
with inconveniences. So I have this hope that things like PRISM will
be the catalyst of their own demise.

Even the hardware medium can become decentralised with the advent of
very small computers that can be deployed everywhere, including
balloons and other crazy ideas.

Communication through quantum entanglement would set us free for good,
unless I'm missing something.

In the long future, entanglement might provide a way to secure classical teleportation, and permit to avoid being copied and reconstituted by some pirate. Quite possibly.

But technology is orthogonal to politics, and if humans does not develop the spiritual maturity to treat themselves better, technology will continue to be misused for special and criminal interests.

In fact I do think that some spiritual maturity is needed to discover new technologies, but technology, like DNA and books, can be easily copied and used (and perhaps misused) by people having not the mature mind to invent or discover it.

As long as theology will be a taboo in science, the human sciences will not develop, and we will get more of the dangerous mixing of high technologies and barbary, like the 20th and 21th centuries illustrate.

Bruno

Telmo.