Hi Brent

>>But I don't think this is just a moral evolution.  I think it is driven by
>>technology. As societies become richer they become less competitive and
>>insular and more compassionate and open.

I agree. I think trade imparticularly creates a symbiotic relationship between
people which gets internalized. Pragmatically it makes sense to see people as
friend rather than foe if we want them to buy our stuff and this pragmatism
then gets solidified in our moral sentiment.

I think there are other factors too. I read somewhere that the development and
popularity of the novel as a literary form encouraged people to see the world
through others' eyes and this had some effect on empathy.  There's probably a
plethora of factors that lead to this trend, but I think trade is a major one.

>>f global warming or running out of oil or some other widespread diminution of
>>ease and wealth occurs there will likely be a corresponding diminution in
>>empathy and compassion.

I agree.

All the best