On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:07:26 AM UTC-4, Dennis Ochei wrote:

> Craig,
> I've been trying to stay focused studying the past few days (medical exam
> D: ), but now im procrastinating....
>
> So which of the following are you advancing
>
> No implementation of rules could ever perfectly exemplify (or at least to
> such a degree that no human could every tell it was a mere implementation
> of rules and not "the real thing") the behavior of:
>
> 1)  an electron
> 2) an atom
> 3) a molecule
> 4) a macro-molecule
> 5) an organelle
> 6) a cell
> 7) a sponge
> 8) a nematode
> 9) a fruit fly
> 10) a frog
> 11) a dog
> 12) a rhesus macaque
> 13) a human
>
> ?

I am advancing the idea that that there is a formula. We can say that the
numbers on your list, 1-13, can correspond to what I call the pathetic
constant (p). The higher the number, the more likely that we, as humans
will attribute feelings and/or the expectation that the public phenomena is
associated with a private experience which is worthy of our consideration.
If we misattribute a high p value (i.e. human feelings) to a very low p
phenomenon then we are committing the pathetic fallacy
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathetic_fallacy).

In light of that, let me reorganize the chart:

(13) myself
(12) people who remind me of myself
(11) people who are familiar
(10) people who look or behave in an unfamiliar way
(9) living primates
(8) living mammals
(7) animals
(6) reptiles, insects
(5) plants
(4) cells under a microscope
(3) movies of any of the above
(2) photos of any of the above
(1) dead bodies of animals
(0) stuffed animals (taxidermy)
(-1) stuffed animals (synthetic), robot looking robots
(-2) cartoons, fictional characters, graphic simulations, entopic
hallucinations
(-3) AI, verbal simulations
(-4) natural phenomena - clouds, mountains
(-5) significant objects - jewels, antiques
(-6) common objects - trash can, pile of sand
(-7/14) invisible abstraction - wraps around from absolutely generic
unconsciousness to God concepts

When we try to include phenomena which we cannot directly interact with,
such as those on an astrophysical or subatomic scale, or 'information'
constructs, we have to fit it into our natural schema intuitively, which I
think is both deceptive on one level and potentially contains true insights
on another.

If we looked at a pile of yeast, it might look to us like powder (-6) but
the actual yeast cells deserve more of a (4 to 5) rating. The gap going in
that direction would be an antipathetic gap. Treating a stuffed animal (-2)
as a pet (7 to 9) would be a pathetic gap.

To make matters more complicated, our own state of consciousness alters and
distorts the scale. A child's empathy may differ from an adult's. A child
who has been traumatized by a bear may feel different about animals and be
more susceptible to a pathetic gap because of their fear. Their toy bear
may have to be thrown out. The entire scale is made of prejudice, but it is
not prejudice which is completely unfounded. The lens through which we
empathize with others is made of accumulated aesthetic experiences which
have roots beyond our conscious mind. Our history as a species with snakes
and spiders is present in the attitudes of people - some people more than
others, and some cultures more than others.

It's not the rules that make something seem alive, it is the aesthetic
presence. We are exquisitely sensitive to the aesthetics of living
organisms. We may not be able to tell the difference between a real plant
and a plastic plant from 10 yards away, but if we can look at it close up,
touch the leaves, smell it, we can know very quickly what we are dealing
with. We can be easily misdirected with simulations - puppets, trompe
l'oeil, etc, but this superficial empathy is not exactly the same as our
deep, even subconscious understanding, and it is certainly not the same as
what the entity we are judging is experiencing.

To simulate an aesthetic presence is not necessarily possible. We can make
synthetic fabrics now that have a natural feel to a much greater degree
than was possible 20 years ago, but we can still tell the difference on
some level, and our skin can tell the difference. If we keep improving the
fabric, it may be possible that at some point no expert will be able to
tell the difference without scientific tools, but that is not necessarily
true. A human being who has a talent for appreciating fabric may have a
palette whose sensitivity will always learn to spot a fake.

The assumption you make is that we are talking about degrees of complexity,
and that complexity is an objective value defined in mathematical terms. My
view is that the complexity is only the tip of the iceberg. What we are
really talking about is sensitivity and authenticity. A woodgrain laminate
is easy to distinguish from a hardwood floor to someone who is paying
attention, but not as easy as it is to distinguish a mannequin from a
living person. Even a casual observer can get a sense of fake diamonds vs
real, but perhaps with a greater margin of error than a gemologist.

To sum up, I would say that the rules that make a living person different
from a dead person are not proportional to the significance of that
difference. Being alive is not something that arises from a confluence of
rules, rather rules are derived from our generalizations about what we have
observed of the publicly measurable aspects of life. Most of live, however,
is not public or measurable.

Good luck on your exam!
Craig