> Rules don't produce anything, just as triangles or steps don't produce
> anything

What about something like Conway's Game of Life? Why is it wrong to see the
behavior of the game as produced by the rules of the game and initial
conditions?

 To ask what my evidence is is the same as asking what evidence I have that
> this emoticon...

So are you or are you not making a predictive statement about what can be
done using a system of rules? What exactly is it you are saying cannot be
done? (Not what cannot be *explained*, but what cannot be done). What are
the practical implications?