>but what policies can produce an effect ab initio?

then is there anything wrong with saying the *implementation* of the rules
of GOL produce the behavior of the game?

i think you missed the nuance of what i was asking. (i was trying
fecklessly to make it clear with few words) i dont want moral implications,
but empirical ones. I might observe identical outputs from an AI that
"doesn't really feel" and a human or something else that uncontroversially
"does feel." I might observe the exact same thing whether or not the ai has
a true inner life. what can i predict i might see or hear that is a
consequence of your position bring true that isnt merely a consequence of
your position being believed to be true? (obstensibly, we wouldnt worry
about building ai's that can feel if we believed your position, even if it
was false)