On 18 Sep 2013, at 20:54, meekerdb wrote:

On 9/18/2013 5:21 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
I naturally took an extreme example to make my point.

I do that often too, but here it weakened your point. Everyone (except Sunday philosopher) agree on 0, and its successor.

Also some serious mathematicians are finitists.

The Meaning of Pure Mathematics
Author(s): Jan MycielskiSource: Journal of Philosophical Logic, Vol. 18, No. 3 (Aug., 1989), pp. 315-320Published by: SpringerStable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/30227216 .

Come on! He believes that Platonism violates Occam. That is the same error than believing that Everett violates Occam. Sometimes more is considerably simpler than less, and that's the very inspiration of the "everything" list.

Bruno

Locally Finite Theories
Author(s): Jan MycielskiSource: The Journal of Symbolic Logic, Vol. 51, No. 1 (Mar., 1986), pp. 59-62Published by: Association for Symbolic LogicStable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/2273942 .