2013/9/20 Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>

> On 20 Sep 2013, at 11:46, chris peck wrote:
>
> Hi Bruno
>
> Im not all that wrapped by Popper's method possibly because I have a
> background in the soft sciences where I think it is much harder to devise
> falsifiable statements. Other minds being unobservable and all that...
>
> I like Popper's critiques of other thinkers. His destruction of Hegel in
> 'Open Society' is brutal and convincing and his analysis of Marx tempered,
> fair and exhaustive.
>

> Hmm... OK. I agree even on his critics on Plato, but Plato remains correct
> on the main things, and this he failed to see (for reason I get when
> reading his philosophy of mind and of matter).
>
>  I now consider the critic of plato and Hegel naive, because popper start
from a reductionist standpoint that I can not accept simply because I don´t
want to reject part of the reality that conform the reality that I
perceive, and no pretty method, demarcation or fancy system can make me get
rid of it. And Plato, as a philosophical realist pointed to real problems
that Popper don´t even begin to understand when he wrote the open society
and their enemies.

That is not true of the latter Popper which helped to develop evolutionary
epistemology. I consider myself a follower of evolutionary epistemology
with all their consequences. In particular, there are strong statements
that can be made from the point of view of EEP that complement/challenge
the Plato and Aristotelian philosophy.  For example, the world of the ideas
is, according with EEP the universal, species-specific forms a priory
created  in the human mind by the process of natural selection. This is a
paraphrase of Konrad Lorenz (other evolutiorary epistemologist) talking
about the Kantian a prioris.

In the other side I talked about the inevitable convergence, following EEP,
between the notions of existence, what is good and what is beautiful

> I like that he favours doubt over certainty and argues for that as a
> socially organising principle. I dont like that he puts science (as he
> defines it) on a pedestal. Funny that he is known for his take on science.
> His politics is more important I think.
>
> I read that you didn't like Feyerabend which I found odd given how your
> system challenges modern dogma so heavily.
>

> Hmm .... I feel myself as being more like conservative. A platonist
> conservative, even a Pythagorean one, thanks to Church thesis.
>

>  I dont think any other method would leap so readily to defend its right
> to be brought into the scientific fold and I often read you complaining of
> current dogmas.
>

> I truly complain on *all* dogma. I complain that some scientist have dogma
> when they pretend they not. I am really only an (applied) logician, and all
> what I give is a reasoning showing that IF we are digitalizable machine,
> THEN physicalism is wrong. I have heard about some flaws in the argument,
> but when I ask them I get silence or non valid argument using assumptions
> that I do not use.
> Many scientists, who  have never really thought on the mind-body problem,
> seems to believe that science has decided between Aristotle and Plato, on
> the nature of reality, but this is pure non sense. We are much more
> ignorant than what they imagine.
>

> I would have thought him to be a choice thinker for this list generally.
>

> It seems leading to some relativism, and he is not enough Popperian for me.
>
> Best,
>
> Bruno
>

>  http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/
>

>  --