Yeah your right: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24550492

It's crazy that comparatively so little has been done to stabilize and
entomb that site; considering the ultimate consequences should any number of
the structures fail. A case of misplaced priorities that unfortunately could
become a civilization ending event.

At this point entombing the whole thing seems to be the only option - don't
think anybody has the tech to handle a hot mass of corium melt. I would
estimate that entombing Fukushima will cost many trillions of dollars over
hundreds and hundreds - if not hundreds of thousands of years. But that is
chump change compared to the cost of doing nothing.

As you noted large once in a hundred year weather events are going to most
likely become more common as the planet roils in shedding heat out into
space.

That place is hell on earth. In one of the reactor buildings - I forget
which even the best radiation hardened robots we have only last a few
minutes before the intense gamma ray flux literally fries them and the
telemetry they can gather is of extremely poor quality due the intense gamma
ray emissions in that area.

I think all we can do at this point is to entomb - at massive cost - and
contain this hell from the rest of the planet.

This is one of those problems that is so horrible that no one wants to deal
with it or think about it; preferring almost anything to this activity.
Nobody wants to own this. Fukushima is like an orphan child and the Japanese
government would love it to just go away and let it focus instead on
important things like preparing for the Olympics. the insanity of the
apparent priorities is truly rich, but also potentially tragic for all of
humankind.

I am unimpressed with Japan's efforts and ability to manage this disaster
and am concerned that they have been in a reactive mode and are flailing
around and trying to pretend that they can focus on other things - like the
Olympics.

How many close calls will Fukushima survive before it can finally be
stabilized?