There is something to be said for the hypothesis that there are no advanced
technological civilizations in the universe because they invariably destroy
themselves in the blink of an eye after they are fist born. Not what I would
have wished, but in our own case we certainly seem to be bearing it out.

From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of LizR
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:16 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Current events

Japan is only doing the same as the rest of the world, of course -
pretending there's nothing wrong, carrying on as usual and hoping the world
will sort itself out (which it will, no doubt, but maybe not with the human
race still around). Fukushima just happens to be a particularly ghastly
example of the sort of problems we've created for ourselves.

Meanwhile Barak Obama continues to not fulfil his promises about a green
economy, Putin is such a wimp he can't take a few peaceful protests about
Arctic oil drilling without throwing his toys out the cradle, the Aussies
have just withdrawn from the carbon tax scheme (why they don't use solar
power for everything in that climate is beyond me) and our very own Prime
Minister in New Zealand continues to head towards the most environmentally
destructive policies he can in the name of short term supposed boosts to the
economy, or more likely just making the rich richer...

(And we wonder why SETI hasn't picked up any signs of intelligent life...)