On 19 Oct 2013, at 22:53, meekerdb wrote:

On 10/19/2013 7:07 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
The base problem disappears when you take 1) the universal wave, and 2) accept the idea that all states of the subsystem are relative indexical defined by the base in which some self-aware subparts (local universal machine) can develop and remember personal memories.

But why are self-aware subparts necessarily classical?

They are not. But once we choose a simple universal base like arithmetic of combinators, we have to recover the quantum from an epistemology of classical machines.
We start from classical because we want to explain the quantum.
Starting from the quantum would beg the explanation of matter.

That's was my question that started this thread. Why can't there be a self-aware subpart that is aware of the wave-functions projection onto other bases in which it is not even approximately diagonal?

That can exist. It is called a quantum computer or brain, but we don't want assue them, because we want to explain why they exist, from simple (boolean) assumptions. It is a methodological decision.