On 18 Oct 2013, at 01:23, meekerdb wrote:

On 10/16/2013 11:55 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
I see your reference and raise you a reference back to section 4.1 of

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0312136

From the paper:

"What of the crucial question: should Alice1 feel uncertain? Why, Alice1 is a good PI-reductionist Everettian, and she has followed what we’ve said so far. So she1 knows that she1 will see spin-up, and that she1 will see spin- down. There
is nothing left for her to be uncertain about.
What (to address Saunders’ question) should Alice1 expect to see? Here I invoke the following premise: whatever she1 knows she1 will see, she1 should expect (with certainty!) to see. So, she1 should (with certainty) expect to see spin-up, and she1 should (with certainty) expect to see spin-down. (Not that
she1 should expect to see both: she1 should expect to see each.)"

But this is where the basis problem comes in. Why is the experience classical?

Probably because our substitution level is above (or equal) to the "QM- level" (defined by the Heisenberg uncertainty)

Why doesn't Alice simply experience the superposition?

She could in case she has a quantum brain (quantum computer brain for example) so that she can exploit some Fourier transforms of the thought process in the all the terms of the superposition. But you have defended often Tegmark's argument that the brain is classical, and so she can experience only each branch, for the same reason that the WM-duplicated candidate can experience only Washington xor Moscow.

Is there something about superpositions that makes them inherently inexperiential?

yes, the fact that our brain might be classical computer. But if the brain was a quantum computer, we could experience some aspect of the superposition. Note that this would not change any of the consequence of comp, only make the level very low, and of course the physics extracted from comp would reflect such low-levelness.

But today's evidence are more that the brain, and biology, exploits classical, or quasi-classical, physical features.