On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 21 Oct 2013, at 04:48, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote:
>

> Disclaimer: No idea if I am even on the same planet on which this
> discussion is taking place. So pardon my questions and confusions:
>
> On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 11:15 PM, Russell Standish
> <li...@hpcoders.com.au>wrote:

>> > That is consistent. (Shit happens, we became unsound).
>> >

>> Consistency is []p & ~[]~p. I was saying []p & ~p, ie mistaken belief.
>>

> Why Isn't "mistaken belief" here merely unsound because it's propositional
> variable, assuming we're speaking generally about all systems?
>

> Yes, []p & —p, makes the machine on which [] applies, unsound. But still
> consistent. Such machines will believe (prove) an arithmetical false (but
> consistent) sentence.

> Isn't that a rule for any modal sentence though, independent of system?
> [o]p is ([]p & p)
>
> Isn't []p & p = []([o]p) the definition of fixed point theorem? That, plus
> modalization conditionals to remove p from the G sentence so that every
> sentence H is a fixed point of it?
>

> This is a bit unclear.

A fixed point is when a proposition says something about herself (like p
> <-> []p, p <-> [] ~p, etc.). The fixed point will be a proposition in which
> p does no more occur. The main one are:

Ok, that is clearer. But this is a general rule in provability logic of
every modal system, right?

> [](p <-> ~[]p) -> [](p <-> ~[]f)   Gödel fixed point
>
> [](p <=> [] ¬p) <=> [](p<=> []⊥)

Yes, that's the kind of thing I think we're talking about.

> So that you get that list of instances with (G sentence on left and H on
> right) examples like the following:
>
> []p   corresponds to  T
> ¬[]p corresponds to  ¬[]⊥
> []¬p corresponds to  []⊥, which is pretty cool because you get a
> provability statement that is arithmetically equivalent to its own
> non-provability iff the statement is equivalent to the statement that
> arithmetic is inconsistent. Because G proves in this fashion:
>
> [o](p <=> [] ¬p) <=> [o](p<=> []⊥)
>

> OK.
>

> This is the kind of thing that clarifies the pronoun issue imho.
>

> In arithmetic. But in UDA I think that the definition of first
> person/third person in term of reconstitution/annihilation is clear enough
> for the indeterminacy purpose, and the necessity of deriving physics from
> arithmetic.

it is just not precise enough to get the actual technical beginning of the
> derivation of physics.
>

>>  >
>> > []p -> [][]p  OK?
>> >

>> Why? This is not obvious. It translates as being able to prove that
>> you can prove stuff when you can prove it.
>>
>> If this were a theorem of G, then it suggests G does not capture
>> the nature of proof.
>>
>> Oh, I see that you are just restating axiom "4". But how can you prove
>> that you've proven something? How does Boolos justify that?
>>

> But it nonetheless is everywhere in Boolos: []p -> [][]p IS a theorem of
> G, and useful, unless Bruno shoots the cowboy, because he cannot prove it
> or find his damned Boolos book.
>

> What? You don't find your sacred manual? You will have to do some
> penitences or something :)
>
> Let me give you a difficult exercise: derive []p -> [][]p in *any* normal
> modal logic satisfying Löb's formula (that is derive []p -> [][]p from
> []([]p -p) -> []p (and [](p->q)->([]p->[]q).

Hmm, I'll try but feel free to ignore if there is too much bs in my attempt
to remember from Boolos, for anything to be saved; "find the book, return
to earlier chapters" will suffice). I choose GL from fuzzy memory as normal
modal logic for the exercise:

*GL derives []p -> [][]p in a confused cowboy's dream from ** []([]p -p) ->
[]p (and [](p->q)->([]p->[]q):*

1) Löb formula:  []([]p ->p) -> *[]*p

Apply truth reflexivity ([]p->p)  to *bold* box above to isolate p as
([]p->p), so:

[]([]p->p) -> ([]p->p)

2) Assuming 1), GL can prove 1), so *[]*1):

*[]*([]([]p->p) -> ([]p->p))

3) Apply Löb formula again:

[]([]([]p->p) -> ([]p->p)) ->* []([]p ->p)*

4) Naturally or mistakenly because I don't know if these moves are legal
through "[](p->q)->([]p->[]q)"

[](([][]p->[]p) -> ([][]p->[]p)) -> []([]p ->p) and

([][][]p-> [][]p-> [][][]p-> [][]p) -> []([]p ->p)

If that weirdness is ok then the following holds more simply because if GL
can prove [][][]p etc. -> Löb formula, then its tempting to just:

[]p-> []([]p ->p)

5) Since []([]p ->p) is also ([][]p -> []p)

6) combining 4 & 5, GL:

Q.E.D., but I don't believe my memory or the appropriacy to Bruno's
exercise! Too clumsy, too many levels and vertigo, lol.

So, yes. Gotta get back to forever undecided and find the Boolos book, I
know. But it's fun as a kind of crossword puzzle activity, even when as
confused as this partially forgotten and possibly misunderstood thing.
Scratching my head for a whole hour for those couple of lines of Kool-Aid
crazy... PGC