On 10/24/2013 12:08 PM, John Mikes wrote:
Craig and Telmo:
Is "anticipation" involved at all? Deep Blue anticipated hundreds of steps in advance (and evaluated a potential outcome before accepting, or rejecting).
What else is in "thinking" involved? I would like to know, because I have no
John Mikes

Learning from experience. Actually I think Deep Blue could do some learning by analyzing games and adjusting the values it gave to positions. But one reason it seems so unintelligent is that its scope of perception is very narrow (i.e. chess games) and so it can't learn some things a human player can. For example Deep Blue couldn't see Kasparov look nervous, ask for changes in the lighting, hesitate slightly before moving a piece,...