On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 7:33 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 10/25/2013 3:08 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>
> Now take the game of go: human beings can still easily beat machines,
> even the most powerful computer currently available. Go is much more
> combinatorially explosive than chess, so it breaks the search tree
> approach. This is strong empirical evidence that Deep Blue
> accomplished nothing in the field of AI -- it did did accomplish
> something remarkable in the field of computer engineering or maybe
> even computer science, but it completely side-stepped the
> "intelligence" part. It cheated, in a sense.
>

> When I studied AI many years ago it was already said that, "Intelligence is
> whatever computers can't do yet."

I'm immune to that objection because I accept that some intelligent
behavior was already achieved. Here's an example:
http://idesign.ucsc.edu/projects/evo_antenna.html

>  So when computers can win at GO, will
> they be intelligent then?

I'm not sure intelligence is a binary property. I would rather ask the
question "when computers win at GO, will AI have advanced"? The answer
is: it depends. If absurd computational power + current algorithms
were used, the answer is that AI has not advanced.

Telmo.