On 10/25/2013 2:09 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
I'm not sure intelligence is a binary property. I would rather ask the
question "when computers win at GO, will AI have advanced"? The answer
is: it depends.

I agree. Deep Blue didn't advance AI significantly - but the early research in chess playing did. DP was just MORE!

If absurd computational power + current algorithms
were used, the answer is that AI has not advanced.

But the algorithms don't come from nowhere - they are invented to solve problems. So Watson may have achieved some advancement. But as I posted earlier, really smart AI may be smart in a different way than humans.