Glial cells may also play a critical role in memory formation:
http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/27913/title/Glial-cell
s-aid-memory-formation/

From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Bruno Marchal
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:01 AM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Neuroscientists discover new 'mini-neural computer' in the
brain

On 28 Oct 2013, at 19:20, spudboy...@aol.com wrote:

I read, somewhere, Professor Marchal, that it was the "spindle cells" in the
brain that pushed the smarter creatures on this planet into high gear, so to
speak, not so much glial, unless we are describing the same thing, primates,
whales, dolphins, have spindle cells, and why this makes a difference I
don't know. For no rational reason, my limbic system is urging me (?) to
include in this email, the first stanza from Hyperactive, by Thomas Dolby.
It adds nothing to this discussion, yet here it is, because it seems
somehow, fitting.

Spindle neurons seems to be special highways to me. Glial cells seems to
play some role in chronic pain.

Anyway, this bears on the substitution level, which we cannot know. The
pioneer of immortality will bet on artificial mechanism which they can
afford, and will not survive without some defects.

At the tender age of three
I was hooked to a machine
Just to keep my mouth from spouting junk
Must have took me for a fool
When they chucked me out of school
'Cause the teacher knew I had the funk

:)