I would like to see us switch away from fossil fuels completely, of course,
but the road may be long and hard. I guess if there is an alternative to
the ICE it will come on line as people replace their vehicles, and of
course as you say power plants are a major part of this - being localised
 they can be replaced more easily than the vehicle infrastructure, but at
quite high initial cost.

About generating more petrol from the air than we burn - we'd have to
generate a lot before we got ahead of the curve on this, of course!
Probably far easier to do something else...

Apparently diamonds aren't forever, they burn at some relatively low
temperature - at last I've been told Fleming got that wrong in the
helicopter crash scene.