From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of LizR
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 7:29 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Global warming silliness

On 14 November 2013 16:25, Chris de Morsella <cdemorse...@yahoo.com> wrote:

And to have the depth and breadth of understanding of the climatic systems
both atmospheric and oceanic to be able to say with a high degree of
certainty that there won't be unintended consequences that emerge out of the
geo-engineering intervention (especially if it is difficult to reverse). I
say this because as history shows we -- as a species (or culture perhaps) --
often fail to first understand before we act... there is quite a bit of
precedent.

>> Yes of course. It would be preferable to stabilise the climate in its
current benign state, which has allowed us to develop agriculture and
civilisation, by simply (!) removing CO2 from the air.

That's not removing it - it is recycling the energy carriers (the hydrogen
and the carbon) into new hydrocarbons (requiring other systems and taking
more by some factor energy to re-generate the hydrocarbon chains that are
the liquid fuel. Certainly preferable to just burning more fossil carbon,
but it is not removing carbon from the biosphere (it is returned as soon as
the fuel is burnt).

What if we discover that we need to sequester large numbers of gigatons of
CO2 in a near term horizon?

Chris

(And preferably turning it plus water into petrol... but I am starting to
sound like a stuck record.)