On 18 Nov 2013, at 20:39, meekerdb wrote:

On 11/18/2013 9:44 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
You seem to be arguing against a straw man here. I explained why the free market can't fix the tragedy of the commons. You haven't answered my point.

And he's so concerned with anti-government straw men that he hasn't noticed that a market requires government (including coercion) to define ownership and punish fraud. Without government you couldn't own any more stuff than you could carry and defend by force of arms.

I agree with Brent. Government can be the best thing a democracy can have, ... until bandits get power and perverts the elections and the state power separations (and get important control on the media, etc.).

But we should make clear that a government has nothing to say about your food, medications, sports, religious or sexual practices, etc. As long as there are no well-motivated complains, the state can't intervene.

So you think it's a bad idea for the government to require testing medications for safety.

Not at all. I appreciate that idea. A government can test for medication, enforce the presence of warnings on secondary effects, traceability of the components, etc. It can even enforce age limits for some products.

What I meant is that it is not the role of the governments to say *which* products among food and medication is allowed or not. Or which products I can grow in my home or garden. But it can enforce many modalities on their type of selling. Sorry for being unclear.

You liked the old "patent medicine" system better? You don't like the government requiring food labels with contents?

On the contrary. I am all for it.

How about airline safety requlations; why not just let the customers decide based on reputation (that's what libertarians want)?

I am not libertarian. At least not in the sense of the word in the US. I appreciate libertarians' opposition to big corporations, but that's all.