On 11/18/2013 4:31 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
If I tried to buy some land and start an
independent city, stormtroopers would show up at some point. Even if
I'm not harming anyone. Even if I'm totally self-reliant.

Depends on what you mean by "independent" city. If you just mean a place with homes and businesses - no problem. But if you want to own a city with tax and police powers, then you need a charter from the state. This guarantees that you follow certain transparency, accounting, and democratic procedures in the governing of your city. And there are town (very small ones) that have been created in exactly that way. By using "stormtroopers" you imply that not being able to create a city with your own stormtroopers is unreasonable.