From: LizR <lizj...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wed, Nov 20, 2013 6:07 pm
Subject: Re: Telmo On the US COnstitution

On 21 November 2013 11:37, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:

> who just did not want to pay taxes to the King of England,

Good on them. What next? Pay taxes to wizards and dragons?

Weird comment. The King of England was only, in their view, an inappropriate
subject to pay taxes to because they were no longer his subjects, at least in a
de facto sense. They weren't against taxes per se, and set up a system in which
people were expected to pay taxes. (And if wizards and dragons existed, people
would indeed pay them taxes, or as we'd call it, protection money!)

No matter how good your case, a reasoned argument is better than an invalid
comparison.