List-Friends of diverse linguistic origins: is there in another language a
WORD meaning the same idiosyncrasy as what the USA " p r i v a c y " indeed
covers? I know of none in German, Hungarian, Latin, French, Russian but
maybe my 'second' vocabularies are defcient. I also wonder whether in the
Pre-American English-English there was something like that?
(Anotrher similar US-puzzle emerged lately: the "Christ" in Christmas what
'faithful' souls want to preserve in the 'spirit' of the holyday, I know
names for Christmas in several languages and none includes 'Christ'.
Anybody increasing my knowledge?)
John M

To post to this group, send email to
Visit this group at