Hey Craig,

What is the origin of the quote? Also, what privileges the process of
'introspection' to reveal anything contrary to the hypothesis that we are
machines? Isn't introspection a bit of a dubious test for finding out a
thing's machinehood?

Finally, I'm not so sure that it is 'consciousness' (yet another word that
is frequently thrown around as a symbol with no proper referent) that is
responsible for uniqueness and unrepeatability as it is the infinitesimally
small chance that all of the quantum correlations that exist in a current
observer moment could ever be repeated... and if they could, that would
nevertheless include no information about whether the entire state had been
repeated or not.

I dunno, seems like a lot of hand waving to me... I do feel rather
convinced of precisely the sentiment that the quotation you led off with
expresses, namely that we are machines made of machines made of machines
made of... information eventually. And the information is processed by some
set of very fundamental rules. I do get your rejoinder, however.... which I
think is something like: If everything is information fundamentally
operating according to computational principles, why on earth would there
"be something" that it is like to be that computation? Whence the "inner
life" and rich inner experiences we have access to in introspection? Whence
the qualia? And honestly, I don't have an answer for that. I take it your
answer (sorry to rehash some of this, but I find it helpful to deepen my
understanding) is that everything is endowed with primitive "sense making"
faculties, kind of like a panpsychism. I'm wondering, why can't this axiom
simply be added on to the idea that we are machines made of information?
i.e. we are machines made of information and information itself has an
inner life?

It's beginning to sound a lot like woo, so I'd better stop there.

Best regards,

Dan