On 30 Dec 2013, at 02:04, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Sunday, December 29, 2013 6:42:20 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 28 Dec 2013, at 15:40, Craig Weinberg wrote:

"humans are machines unable to recognize the fact that they are machines,"

Who wrote this?

*any* ideally correct machines is unable to recognize the fact that they are machines.

Just someone on a Facebook thread, I forget who.

Anyone who says yes to the doctor then cannot be an ideally correct machine.

Almost correct. Anyone saying "yes for scientifically justifiable reason" to the doctor cannot be an ideally correct machine. You *can* stay ideally correct if you are aware of the leap of faith, and "prey" a little bit. That is why I insist on the "theological" aspect, (cf the needed faith) and why the ethic of comp is the right to say "no" to the doctor.