> "humans are machines unable to recognize the fact that they are machines,"

I would re-word it as 'Humans are not machines but when they introspect on
their most mechanical aspects mechanistically, they are able to imagine
that they could be machines who are unable recognize the fact."

I agree that there is an intrinsic limit to Strong AI, but I think that the
limit is at the starting gate. Since consciousness is the embodiment of
uniqueness and unrepeatability, there is no "almost" conscious. It doesn't
matter how much the artist in the painting looks like he is really painting
himself in the mirror, or how realistic Escher makes the staircase look,
those realities are forever sculpted in theory, not in the multisense