Dear Liz: you wrote in your PS:  "epitheton" is itself an "ornamental
epitheton", I'd say. I do hope it wasn't just a typo!"
I looked up epitheton and found (German) vocabulary meanings without any
hint to an ornamental nature.
In a Google English translational part it appeared as "EPITHET" with the
following text: (still no ornamentalist side-tone)

"The noun epithet is a descriptive nickname, such as "Richard the
Lionhearted," or "Tommy the Terrible." When it takes a turn for the worse, *it
can also be a word or phrase that offends*."

"Don’t let *epithet’s* bad reputation fool you — that’s only half the
story. An epithet can be harmless, a nickname that catches on, like all
hockey fans knowing that "Sid the Kid" is Sidney Crosby. On the flip side, *an
epithet can be an abusive word or phrase* that should never be used, like a
racial epithet that offends and angers everyone."

It included *'epithet ornans'*. I found no hint to any 'ornamental' meaning
included. Did you mean that 'ornamental' serves the same addition as the
(unspecified) epitheton? I wanted to emphasize my appreciative cognotion of
that (not too benevolent) characterization by the reviewer..

JM

.