On 5 January 2014 12:33, Edgar L. Owen <edgaro...@att.net> wrote:

> Jason,
>
> Assume block time for a moment. You still haven't answered my question
> about how your theory of the present moment works.

There is no present moment in block time. Block time explains how someone
*feels* that there is a moving present, however.

> What determines which moment of Caesar's life he thinks is the present
> moment?

He thinks every moment of his life is the present moment. At each moment,
he thinks that is the present moment. As do you and I.

> What determines which moment of your life you experience as the present
> moment?

The state of your brain at that moment, including your memories.

> And don't tell me that every instant of your life *continues* to
> experience itself in its present moment. If so why am I talking to this
> one? And why are you answering back from this one.

These moments are connected via signals travelling at (or less than)
lightspeed. Your use of "continues", above, is misleading. It implies the
existence of a second time dimension that simply isn't present in a block
universe.

> How can two clock times that are not simultaneous both experience
> themselves in the same present moment?

Please resubmit your query in the language of the block time we are
assuming for the purposes of this discussion.

> And do you understand that if block time is true then the universe must be
> completely deterministic since the future already exists?

Of course. (Although QM+Everett posits a block *multiverse*.)

> And what does already mean in this case? If all moments of time exist what
> time do the exist with reference to? If you have a block time continuum
> stretching from the big bang to the end of the universe what time does this
> exist in?

You are assuming some other time dimension is needed. But that extra
dimension simply isn't required (according to our best theories to date).
All moments exist with reference to all other moments, although technically
we should not be talking about moments, but locations in space-time
(normally called "events" for short).

> Block time is clearly a lot more unlikely than my Present time theory. In
> fact the block time fallacy seems to have been invented and believed in by
> those who don't understand the Present moment...

You will have to first demonstrate that you understand the block time
concept before you are in a position to make this statement. From what you
say above you haven't yet grasped it, and hence all your arguments so far
have been directed against straw men.