On 1/4/2014 7:53 PM, LizR wrote:
On 5 January 2014 16:16, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    Not really as a Feynman diagram.  Those are always drawn in momentum space
(because
    energy/momentum is what's conserved) and are assumed to occupy only a
negligible space.

I always assumed they were similar to worldlines for fundamental particles.

    and this is sufficient to give us the illusion that there is a "moving
present
    moment". In practice (if we leave aside a comp type explanation and assume
our
    minds are generated by the activity of our brains) then that brain activity
is
    sufficient to give a powerful illusion that we are "moving through time".
But, as
    the guy in "Memento" demonstrates, this is an merely illusion, caused by the
    persistence of memory, which effectively gives us a physical connection to
the past
    via the arrangement of the worldlines of the molecules making up our
physical
    structure.

    You don't really have to say it's an illusion.  It's a description of the
world and
    the fact that you put different t-labels on events at the same (x y z)
doesn't undo
    the fact that there are different events at those different t-values. Memory
    provides an arrow of psychological time - but it doesn't always follow the
arrow of
    physics (entropy increase).

I am simplifying in an attempt to explain it to Edgar, who clearly has a problem grasping how any of this works. With all due respect, I'd appreciate it if my attempts weren't obfuscated. He obviously doesn't get even the basics of the block universe picture, so piling on lots of extra details will only confuse matters - or more likely give him an excuse to just ignore them,

I don't think he needs an excuse.  I've given up on him.

Brent

like climate change or evolution deniers - "look, they disagree about some minor details, so their entire theory simply must be wrong!"